So many neighborhoods in America fall into the trap of having houses that look like exact replicas of each other. But when it comes to owning and designing a home, everyone wants their house to stand out from the rest of the block. They want a design and style that separates them from the others. One waythat you can do this is with the design of your garage. And one of the easiest ways to make your garage stand out is with the material that you choose for it. One of the most traditional and versatile types of material is wood, but homeowners may also want to check out newer composite doors as well.
The Benefits of Wood and Composite Doors
If you are considering getting a new garage door, there are some definite benefits found with wooden and composite doors. They include:
• Style—Wood garage doors give a home a traditional look that is stylish and elegant. This material works especially well with designs such as carriage doors. And since most neighborhoods are built with the homes having the standard (and cheaper) metal doors, a wooden door will make yours stand out more from the crowd.
• Security—Garage doors are meant to protect your home and belongings such as your car. That’s why you want a door that is sturdy and secure. Wooden doors tend to be heavier than metal doors. This makes them a good security choice, as it will be harder to manually lift the door without the remote control.
• Resilient—Another reason to consider a wooden or composite door is the fact that they are able to hold up to damage better. A garage door will get dings and dents in it from cars, trashcans, and kids on bikes and playing ball. But a wooden door will not show this damage in the same way that a steel door will.
• Insulation—Wooden doors are a naturally good insulator. This prevents heat from coming in during the summer and keeps the heat trapped during the winter giving you a more comfortable temperature in your garage. It also can help cut down on your power bill, which is a definite plus.
The Drawbacks of Wood and Composite Doors
Even though there are lots of benefits to using a wooden or composite door, there can be some things you have to consider about them. These include:
• Cost—One of the reasons why steel doors are more common in basic garage door set-ups is because they are much less expensive. If cost is a consideration for you, you may want to look at a hollow wooden door that has another material as an interior insulator.
• Maintenance—One of the other concerns with wooden doors is the matter of maintenance. Because wood is susceptible to the elements, it has to be repainted and retreated to keep it looking fresh and clean.
Choosing a material for your garage door is an important consideration. But, if you weigh the pros and cons, you can find your ideal material. And one of the best, most resilient materials that you can consider is wood or composite material.